Wednesday, April 13, 2011

To Measure or Not to Measure, that is the question

In the last few weeks I have had a number of people ask me if I have been tracking my measurements. With the exception of my daily assessment of how my pants fit the answer is no.


I know that there are lots of good reasons to track measurements during weight loss, the most important being that measurements can show inches lost that the scale does not show. So why the hesitation to break out the measuring tape?


For me the scale is pressure, often because it can be a challenge for it to go down. While the measuring tape may offset some of that pressure by showing other losses, it too comes with the pressure to lose inches.


I like that people are commenting that I look different and that my clothes feel different. I love that I can buy a smaller size shirt and that my dress pants were literally falling off of me today. I also love that the actual number of inches that I have lost is a mystery because it takes the pressure off. I love that I am going to the gym now with the simple goal of challenging myself more than the last time. I am finally getting to a place where this is about health and not just aesthetics, but lets be honest, I'll take those changes too.

1 comment:

  1. Great post. I haven't taken measurements because I take half-naked pictures every 10 or so pounds. I also use tight clothing as a measurement tool.

    I feel the same at the gym! I like to challenge myself and see if I can run a little harder!

    ReplyDelete