Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Bagels

I decided today that bagels are my nemesis. I believe that this started more than a decade ago. I remember going to the mall as a teenager and getting a bagel from The Great Canadian Bagel. The cream cheese was as thick as the bagel itself.


At home bagels do not hold much appeal. I have weight watchers bagels in the cupboard and low fat cream cheese, but in the morning I am just as happy to eat my plain oatmeal with cinnamon and almond slivers.


So why is it that when I drive by a Tim Hortons that I have an uncontrollable (this may be a little exaggerated) craving for a bagel. I think that there is a part of me that has focused on the bagel as the healthier alternative to the donut. While there may be more nutritional to a 12 grain bagel and than a chocolate dip donut there are also more calories. Please don't tell me to eat half the bagel - its not going to happen.


I don't want you to get the impression that I can't drive by a Tim Hortons without buying a bagel, I do have some self control. My problem is when I am starting to get hungry and am craving a carbohydrate and then I drive past one. Yesterday I exhibited extreme self control by actually leaving the parking lot and buying a banana. Today, well, we can't be perfect all the time.


I will continue to take some level of pride that instead of a 20 pack of timbits, I age a 12 grain bagel light on the butter. I do know however that if I want to continue to see a good amount of success I am going to have to break up with the bagel, perhaps Tim Hortons entirely for a while. Hopefully in a while after the feelings have diminished we might still be able to be friends.

2 comments:

  1. I was reading a fitness book the other day and it had a neat little concept of earning your Carbs. Now don't get me wrong I do not believe in low carb diets. However the idea here was that the only time you eat a carb loaded meals (pasta, breads etc..) was after a workout therefor earning your carbs. Just an idea to throw out there :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. bagels are evil. I've been eating too many lately. They sell amazing one's in the cafe in my office building. Fresh everyday...but they are killing me and I see them on my hips. I'm giving up bagels. Let's do it together :)

    ReplyDelete