Sunday, February 6, 2011

You don't have to love the game to eat the food.

So today is Superbowl Sunday.
While I am definitely not the biggest football fan out there, I do find myself getting into football mode as the game approaches. More than anything this mode usually has something to do with food.

This presented as a particular challenge this year with our determination to eat as clean and as healthy as possible. So this begs the question, How do you make healthy Superbowl Food. Some of the obvious foods were out such as fried wings, chips and anything high fat or deep fried. Chili came to mind as a very strong possibility because there are so many variations on how to make this dish.

So the decision was to make a healthy chili following as many clean eating principles as possible. Were we successful, I think so as even the kids liked it. I can't say that I am watching the game right now, but the food certainly was good.

Dawn's Chili - makes one giant pot
2 cans no salt added whole tomatoes
1 can diced tomatoes (I could not find this salt free)
1 can brown beans (rinsed off the tomato sauce)
1 can kidney beans - rinsed
1 can black beans - rinsed
1 can chick peas - rinsed
1/2 green lentils (partially cooked)
1/2 cup diced onion
diced bell peppers (I used red and yellow)
1 package sliced mushrooms
1 can no salt added corn
1/2 pound steamed ground beef
1/2 pound steamed ground chicken
2 packages chili seasoning (this was not clean, but I felt it was needed)

No comments:

Post a Comment