Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Stickers

Ok for all the parents out there you know what a wonderful tool stickers can be for positive reinforcement and motivation. You may or may not have known that the power of stickers also works with adults.


I first became acquainted with stickers during a weight watchers meeting a number of years ago. When a group member would share a weight loss, a milestone or a success the leader would reward them with stickers. How I treasure the stickers, I put them on my weight tracker and I see them as a tangible measure of success even when the scale is not cooperating.


I had an experience with stickers last night at a Weight Watchers Meeting.


I was sharing with the group about my experience that day at lunch, I had explored this a bit in yesterdays blog, but what I failed to mention was that I had actually pulled into Walmart to run errands and realized that if I went in, I would likely eat at McDonalds so I actually pulled out of the parking lot and then went to a grocery store to complete my errand and purchase lunch food. Upon hearing this story the leader unrolled her stickers in a big swoop and handed me half the roll.


I was already proud of myself for that decision, but something about someone else acknowledging the effort and will power it took to do this really hit home. The fact that they showed this acknowledgment with stickers, even better.


So what is the point of today's rant. First of all it is to remind all of us to reinforce the good choices that we are all making on a daily basis. The second is to remember that little things like stickers or a note or a well done can have a tremendous impact on someone and really can brighten their day. Those stickers are still rolled up in my purse and whenever I see them I am reminded that that strong decision that I made and it may just help me through the next one.



1 comment:

  1. That's such a sweet story. It's amazing how powerful the little things are:)

    ReplyDelete