Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Time Machine

I was watching a new series on TV last night called Heavy. The premise of the show is that every week they take two morbidly obese people and send them to a program for a month to learn how to eat and exercise. Then the show follows them for a total of 6 months to document their weight loss.


As a viewer the nice thing about this show is that it shows you a person's transformation in a condensed 60 minute framework. A person goes from obese to fit in a mere 60 minutes. I know that for those individuals those 6 months felt like forever as they went through the journey, but as a viewer it is easy to become frustrated watching someone shed pounds so quickly on tv. Sometimes I just want a time machine so that I can jump ahead 6 or 12 months just for a quick glimpse to keep me motivated.


I am so proud of the success that I have experienced so far, but day to day it can be hard to remain motivated as it takes a while before your clothing feels dramatically different or you reap the benefits of increased health and fitness. When I look in the mirror I see the same silhouette that I saw last month and it is easy to think that it will always be like this.


I know one day I will look back at my weight loss experience and I do will be able to see in over a 60 minute timespan, but day to day the challenge is to keep faith that this elusive day will come and that it is important to just keep going forward.


When I take a minute to really look at that reflection in the mirror I do see changes. I see a thinner face and pants that hang a bit looser around the thigh. I also feel room in my waist band. I feel stronger after a work out and I feel proud of myself each day when I reflect on the past 24 hours. It can be easy to be lost in the silhouette, but I do have to stop and remember that a silhouette does not show the details, and the details are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment