Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Before you meet your prince you have to kiss a few frogs.

After 25 days of eating clean and a week of following WW I was starting to become a bit worried at falling to a rut.


As my pictures have shown my evening meals have primarily focused around chicken and some fish. I have not yet started to experiment with other sources of protein, the weeknights are to busy for experiments so I am vowing to try something different this weekend.


Today I entered the grocery store determined to walk out with something that we had never eaten before. Last night I found a Fennel recipe in the Clean Eating Magazine so that sounded like a good start.


With fresh fennel in my cart I headed to the meat department to explore my options. I was happy to see that chicken breasts were on sale, but I couldn’t handle chicken again, so I put a package in my cart for a later date and kept going.


I stopped at the fresh fish counter. Now my experience with fresh fish has been limited to purchasing single portions of salmon, but I really wanted to try something different than the package frozen fish that I have been buying.


I eyed some seasoned Tilapia, California spice and Maple BBQ with Parsley. So while Tilapia is not a new experience for us, the freshness of the fish and the seasoning gave it a new spin.


I would love to tell you that I went home and cooked the best meal I have ever eaten, but that would be a lie. The fennel which was boiled and then roasted with Parmesan cheese was good, but not great. The tilapia was a bit spicy which is good my metabolism, but my taste buds were not a fan. The meal in total with 3 pieces of multi grain fresh bread and margarine was 8 points.


So what have I learned from this experience? I have learned that they can’t all be winners, but I am not going to find new foods that I like without going through a few duds first, a concept very similar to dating.


The fennel will get date #2, but I think that this particular Tilapia and I are probably better off just wishing each other a nice life.


On a positive note, I made it back to the gym today after a 7 day hiatus (unfortunately last weeks craziness led me to skip the gym) and I resisted the diet coke temptation at Subway when I grabbed lunch.


I’m still amazed every day when I am stopped in the hall or I get an email from someone telling me that they read the blog. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you.


Another friend helped me out today by making sure that I had a healthy snack before heading out on the road, thank you Sue. I really do appreciate the support everyone.

5 comments:

  1. try buffalo - tastes like beef, but is leaner than chicken. there is a good buffalo place by work, just outside of Hartford

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was also going to suggest Bison. At goodness me you can get Bison Burgers that are all natural and are the best burgers I have ever eaten (not sure what the points value is but they are clean).

    ReplyDelete
  3. just wanted to stop by to say I am really enjoying reading your blog as it sounds a lot like how I am feeling! Your doing great! and I wish you every success and will be following your weight loss journey. I have just finished week 1 of CLEAN eating and feel SO much better, with a loss of 5lb.. wish me luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, do you like Tuna? Fresh tuna marinated with grated ginger, garlic, chillis and low sodium soy sauce is HEAVEN! Give it a try??

    ReplyDelete
  5. I will. We do really like tuna

    ReplyDelete