Thursday, January 27, 2011

Yes you can hate others for their success

Today, like all weigh in days, was a tough day for me.
The anxiety and stress starts first thing in the morning knowing that my week's efforts will be measured (literally) by one moment on the scale.


Weigh in preparation includes many factors including: deciding what to wear because clothes can weigh a lot, deciding what to eat, how much water to drink and even what jewelry to wear. All of this to maximize that number which flashes for ohhhhhh about a second.


I still have a hard time believing that I allow so much of my success on one second of my week, but week to week it is still the best measure I have. I know all of the other non scale ways to measure my success, but lets be honest week to week my clothes don't feel different so while hopefully that will become a measure of my over all success week to week I am stuck with the scale.


So now to explain my title. I was very happy with my weigh loss for the week. 1.8lbs for a total of 9.2lbs over 3 weeks. I was estatic, until it came to the sharing portion of the WW meeting and I learned that other, had lost 4, 5, 6, even 7lbs. All of a sudden what was elation 5 minutes early felt like failure.


Now I know rationally that the first week is make up of some water weight and that I lost 5lbs my first week and that everyone is different, but blah blah blah, I still hated them for that moment. 


I'm over it now, I know that in week 3 my 1.8lbs loss is good and that it is a part of my journey to both larger and lasting weight loss, but sometimes jealously does rear its ugly head and sometimes it is ok to hate others for their success for just a moment. 



No comments:

Post a Comment