Saturday, January 22, 2011

Choices

We make choices every minute of every day. Some are good, some are bad. At the end of the day we have to live with our choices and the consequences of them.

I made a choice last night when I purchased the baked potato chips at the store and I made another choice when I had them as a snack last night. I can live with this choice b/c they have been accounted for in terms of their point value and they were the cleanest version of potato chips I could find without going to a health food store.

Today presents another set of choices, but to fully explain I need to back up to last night. My dear husband has been unhappy with my recent decisions involving diet coke and baked potato chips. He feels that the best way and only way for us to be successful is to completely embrace clean eating and banish everything else from our diet. I do feel that he has made his own rationalizations in the last couple of weeks including full fat cheddar on a certain breakfast sandwich, but I am not going to split hairs.

Dear Husband went to the movies last night armed with a bottle of water and a snack bag of almonds. What he admitted to me last night was a bit surprising when he acknowledged that he ordered both popcorn with margarine and coke at the movies. Given the ribbing he has been giving me I promptly returned the serve with my own comments about white poison and fake fat, trust me he got the point.

Now fast forward to today. I have plans to go to the movies tonight. I have been worrying about this for the last 24 hours because I love going to the movies and I have a routine and it involves diet coke and popcorn. I will be completely honest I don't want to go to the movie tonight and not order it, because as I look around and watch everyone eat it I will be struggling to maintain my will power which will stop me from enjoying the experience and the movie.

My solution, online research to determine the nutritional information for movie theatre popcorn with and without butter and track it immediately into my points so that I can plan my day around this event. (Diet coke is a 0 point drink so there is no WW issues with this only CE issues) This is Weight Watchers 101 and a strong principle of the program which suggest that deprivation leads to over eating. This felt to me like the perfect solution and made me feel comfortable with my choice and my decision.

So, what's the problem?

The problem is that in discussion with DH I have learned that he does not fully support my decision to incorporate WW principles because he feels I am using them as a crutch to stray from clean eating. (Those weren't his exact words, but the message was there and funny I am pretty sure I blogged about this a few days ago). He feels that while he did have coke last night, I have already had diet coke this week and I should not be ordering it or the popcorn tonight.

I am now at a crossroads. I need to figure out if I can follow both the principles of CE and WW and when they come into conflict which plan should win out?

I don't have any answers right now, but I have 8 1/2 hours before I leave for the movies so I guess I better work on figuring it out.

Oh and as I write this the blog has reached 2000 page views. Thank you to everyone

Today's Breakfast
Sorry it is not very clear
2 eggs and 2 egg whites with spinach, red pepper and mushrooms topped with an 1/8 cup of part skim mozzarella cheese. Total - 6 points


2 comments:

  1. I am loving your blog! For my two cents - if I think of the likelihood of long term success - coooommmpletely eliminating any/all treats (i.e. movie popcorn) seems like a recipe for failure down the road. So does going to the movies and getting totally distracted by yummies...I'd end up feeling down and eat junk right then, or the next day. I totally support clean eating, probably more than weight watchers, as far as healthy philosophies/strategies. But in saying that, I don't know too many people who don't need to have a treat that's actually a treat sometimes. It seems like a good compromise to use the WW framework to be conscious of when you treat & what you treat yourself to. Or, you could always make another rule that works better if you think that would cause you to 'cheat' on CE too much...like maybe 3 real treats/month or even 3 that fit within WW. On the whole I think your body will be relishing in the non-toxicity of clean eating as a whole, and therefore better equipped to deal with the occasional pollutant. But no treats doesn't seem feasible for a lifestyle change that's permanent. Blah blah. You are definitely inspiring! In fact, Anaiah is cheering for you right now!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about getting a mini can of diet coke and bringing it? you can pay 10 cents for the cup and get ice (not like I do this or anything! HA!) and popping your own popcorn plainly and adding their marg as a treat (it's usually in the squirty thing anyway, or it is in Toronto!)

    ReplyDelete